Canon U.S.A. Inc. announced the launch of a mid-range telephoto zoom lens that will expand their lineup of 4K UHD Broadcast Lens. The UHD-DIGISUPER 66 (UJ66x9B) is designed for 4K UHD broadcast cameras, providing cameras with 2/3-inch sensors 4K optical performance.
Featuring a zoom ratio of 66x, the UHD-DIGISUPER 66 is perfect for use for live and sports event productions. Along with the power of the Canon’s Optical Shift Image Stabilizer (Shift-IS), handling and operational controls mimic those of HDTV broadcast cameras’ field zoom lenses.
The result is the kind of broadcasting that offers stable imaging and comfortable maneuverability whether done indoors, outdoors, in a medium-size broadcasting van, and other shooting situations.
According to president and COO of Canon U.S.A., Inc., Yuichi Ishizuka, “The new UHD-DIGISUPER 66 advances the DIGISUPER product line … delivers improved optical performance and operational enhancements that together meet the needs of 4K UHD production industry demands.”
What benefits can users expect from the UHD-DIGISUPER 66?
- Optical performance that guarantees no loss of sharpness or color in all areas of the image field, from the center to the periphery.
- 9mm to 600mm focal length range
- Built-in 2x extender that doubles the lens’ zoom range capabilities. On the telephoto end, it can extend up to 1200mm.
- CAFS (Contrast Angle Focus System) that counteracts the zoom effect and cancel out the angle of view effect to zero.
- 4K shooting delivery of smooth imaging with minimal blur, thanks to Canon’s proprietary Shift-IS technology. With even the slightest vibrations eliminated, the result is impressive.
In addition to these, the UHD-DIGISUPER 66 is also compatible with standard broadcast focus and zoom. If you need to integrate it with an existing production setup, it can be done easily and with no compatibility concerns.
Mobility and shooting style are also similar to the DIGISUPER 60 xs (XJ60x9B) 2/3” HD lens. This offers maximum mobility and smooth maneuverability without sacrificing 4K performance and magnification.
When will the UHD-DIGISUPER 66 become available?
Shipping is scheduled to start in fall 2018.
Consumers had the opportunity to get a first look of the new broadcast lens at the NAB Show 2018 in Las Vegas at the Canon booth.
If you missed the event, you’ll just have to wait for the product to be available on the market. Be sure to stay updated, since scheduled shipment can change without notice.
As for the prices, the actual amount will be determined by individual dealers and may vary from one dealer to another.