+ Last Updated on
On August 15, 2017, the European Imaging & Sound Association (EISA) announced the winners under the Photography category for its 2017-2018 Awards.
EISA is considered as the “largest independent collaboration” of multimedia technology experts around the world. Every year, it holds the EISA Awards not just to acknowledge the best products on the market but also to give reliable buying recommendations to individual consumers.
The winners of the EISA Awards are chosen by tech experts who represent more than 50 magazines from 25 countries around the world. This year, it includes five new member magazines from the U.S.A. and Australia. Each magazine submits an initial shortlist of products to be nominated for awards, and the final list of nominees is determined through voting during EISA’s Annual General Meeting. Judging panels then debate and vote on the winners.
The EISA Awards recognizes products with state-of-the-art technology, ergonomic designs, exciting features and great value for money. They cover a wide range of categories, including photography.
2017-2018 Lens Subcategories
For this year’s EISA Awards for Photography, winners were chosen for 19 subcategories.
Six subcategories were created for camera lenses, resulting to six winners in total. We’ve listed them below:
- SIGMA 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art — Winner of the EISA DSLR LENS 2017-2018
- Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 — Winner of the EISA DSLR ZOOM LENS 2017-2018
- Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM — Winner of the EISA PROFESSIONAL DSLR LENS 2017-2018
- Sony FE 100mm F2.8 STF GM OSS — Winner of the EISA COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA LENS 2017-2018
- Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS — Winner of the EISA PROFESSIONAL COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA LENS 2017-2018
- Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO — Winner of the EISA COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA ZOOM LENS 2017-201
A special award was given under the Photography Category. This was the EISA PHOTO INNOVATION 2017-2018 award, which was given to the Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD lens. With its wide-range zoom, three-stop image stabilization system, and weather-resistant seal, it’s no surprise that this lens got the attention of the judging panel.
2017-2018 Camera Subcategories
The Sony a9 grabbed the prestigious EISA Camera of the Year award for 2017-2018. This mirrorless camera is considered to be “groundbreaking”, mainly due to the fact that it combines a powerful sensor, a super-fast AF system, 4K recording capabilities, and other excellent features to create a device that gives traditional DSLRs a run for their money.
Aside from the EISA Camera 2017-2018, nine other camera subcategories were created and resulted to nine winners. These were:
- Canon EOS 77D — Winner of the EISA CONSUMER DSLR CAMERA 2017-2018
- Nikon D7500 — Winner of the EISA PROSUMER DSLR CAMERA 2017-2018
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV — Winner of the EISA PROFESSIONAL DSLR CAMERA 2017-2018
- Fujifilm X-T20 — Winner of the EISA CONSUMER COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA 2017-2018
- Sony a6500 — Winner of the EISA PROSUMER COMPACT SYSTEM CAMERA 2017-2018
- Sony RX100 V — Winner of the EISA COMPACT CAMERA 2017-2018
- Sony RX10 III — Winner of the EISA SUPERZOOM CAMERA 2017-2018
- Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 — Winner of the EISA PHOTO & VIDEO CAMERA 2017-2018
- Fujifilm Instax SQUARE SQ10 — Winner of the EISA INSTANT CAMERA 2017-2018
If you’re planning to buy a new camera or lens, you’ll definitely want to start your search with the photography products that have won the EISA Awards. By doing this, you’ll easily narrow down your options and choose devices that best fit your needs and will give you your money’s worth.