+ Last Updated on
In February, Canon made an announcement regarding the future of its RF series lenses. Essentially, the line was to continue with six new planned releases over the year. By making the announcement, Canon has committed to the line of EOS R full-frame mirrorless cameras. And this year, those cameras will have six new accessories.
Video Credit: Jared Polin
Canon lenses in announcement
The Canon RF mount is known for supporting fast, light, and high-performing optics thanks to its large opening diameter and short back focus distance. Each of the lenses that will be released over the course of 2019 will further improve the experience of users with RF mounts on their camera.
In their statement, Canon indicated that they will release new lenses that cover “critical focal lengths.”
These include the following:
- RF 85mm F1.2L USM. This is described as a mid-telephoto prime lens with a large aperture. it can provide impressive performance for portrait photographers, be they advanced users or at the professional level. The 85mm is also a very popular focal length so adding another item into the mix gives users more choices. Plus, the F1.2L aperture speed is also widely popular.
- RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS. The DS here stands for Defocus Smoothing, which is a lens technology. According to Canon, this is a “uniquely designed lens” that will offer smooth defocused bokeh. In short, those who love taking portraits will appreciate what this offers as it can produce high-quality bokeh images that help them stand out from the crowd.
- RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM. Canon describes this as a standard zoom lens that can provide high performance. It is designed for both professionals and those with an interest in photography. The zoom lens can be used to cover events such as weddings and can even be used for shooting documentaries. The zoom range also makes it great for taking photos of landscapes and portraits.
- RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM. This is a two-in-one package: it offers both wide angle coverage and a fast aperture. Given the focal range that it supports, the lens can be used for a range of shooting scenarios, including those of architectural structures, interiors, and also landscapes.
- RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM. The focal length of this high-speed, medium telephoto lens makes it a must-have for any professional photographer. The widest angle allows for the capture of wildlife and can be of great use during sports events. This lens is also a great companion during weddings.
- RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM. Canon describes this as an ideal travel lens for both amateurs and advanced users. It’s a versatile lens that can be used for any occasion. Plus, it has this very alluring 24-240mm range which allows users to capture a wide range of shots from different distances.
Video Credit: CanonUSA
The TPS 2019 Canon lens showcase
Of the six lenses that was announced by Canon in February, five made their debut at The Photography Show at The NEC in Birmingham, England. These include the following:
- RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM
- RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM
- RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
- RF 24-240mm F4-6.3mm IS USM
- RF 85mm F1.2L USM
Absent from that lineup is the RF 85mm F1.2L USM DS. However, users can expect that to be released within the year since it was part of Canon’s announcement.
The lenses won’t be released all at once in 2019. They will be released at different times within the year. Having something to look forward to for the rest of the year is enough to get RF mount users pretty excited.
While no specific date has been given for the release of Canon’s new RF lenses, TPS 2019 visitors were able to see and test working versions of five of them. The rest of the world eagerly await the actual release of the products.