Last Updated on January 13, 2019
- Lens mount: EF-M-Mount Lens
- Lens type: Zoom lens
- Focal Length: 18-150mm
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5-5.6
- Zoom ratio of up to 8.3x (29-240mm equivalent)
- Image Stabilizer effect
- Combination IS
- Panning feature
The EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens from Canon aims to be an all-in-one lens for the EOS M system. It has both wide angle and telephoto capabilities – features that can cover different kinds of shots from landscapes to close-up portraiture. Plus, the lens is compact and lightweight making it easy to carry around during road trips and even for daily use. With all these features, the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM is a good fit for those looking for a single lens that allows them to capture just about any moment.
Design & Features
The EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM aims to be the lens of choice for many shooters, whether they are taking daily snapshots or heading off on a trip. The good news is that it comes with a range of features to support just that.
First off, the design is sophisticated with the lens being available in black and silver. While it doesn’t exactly scream “rugged design,” the lightweight nature of the lens makes it a convenient travel companion, whether packed off in a camera bag or carried around while strolling a new city.
The lens covers 18mm at the wide angle and 150mm at the telephoto end. With this much zooming range, users are given the opportunity to take different kinds of shots with just a single lens. A photograph can be taken of a subject with roaring seas in the background and a little zoom in allows for portrait photography.
Pros & Cons
- It covers a range of shooting scenes. With the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM, capturing the city skyline and getting a close-up shot of a building can be made with ease. No need to carry extra lenses just to get extra details.
- It is compact and lightweight. Non-heavy items make carrying them easier, especially when shooting handheld, be it at a wedding, national park, or busy streets.
- It is made for the EOS M series. You need to have any of the camera in the EOS M family to use the lens. That said, it’s recommended to get this lens as the kit lens when buying an EOS M camera. That way, you can cover a range of shots with just one lens.
The EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM is a good lens, especially for those who don’t want to be carrying a variety of accessories when headed for a shoot. It’s a good alternative to lenses with very long focal ranges, and also serves as a great introduction to shooting wide and long.
Submit your review