If you’re looking for a camcorder which output can rival that of professional videographers, the Canon XA15 is sure to deliver. It comes highly recommended for religious congregations looking for a full HD camcorder for use in youth gatherings, weddings, and other events.
It is also once of the best devices for vlogging and making YouTube videos. In this Canon XA15 Review, we’ll look into how this device lives up to its reputation.
- Genuine Canon 20x High Definition Optical Zoom Lens
- Advanced HD CMOS Pro Image Sensor with Improved Low-light Performance
- Full HD 1920×1080 Recording Capabilities
- HD/SD-SDI Output
- 3.0-inch LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with Tilt able Electronic Viewfinder
Canon XA15 Camcorder Overview
Video credit: The Everyday Dad
The Canon XA15 was released in 2017 and marketed as one of the incredible powerful camcorders for pro and prosumer use. It shares similar features with the XA11, including the price tag, but there are key differences. It has a BNC HD/SD-SDI jack that is sure to thrill users who need the additional output.
For those who don’t, this added feature may not be reason enough to pay more. Then again, this device is designed for skilled consumers and professionals looking for a camcorder that will help them create videos that can be considered works of art.
Design & Features
- Full HD is considered an incredible resolution for some.
- Guarantees high-quality sound, making it perfect for making videos.
- Shipped with a powerful charging cord and rechargeable battery pack, so you can record videos on the go and for longer periods.
Viewing, Handling, & Controls
- Fitted with an exceptional LCD touchscreen that displays sharp and bright replicas of the actual scene that will be recorded.
- Amazing focus brought on by the 1.56 million dots of resolution and 100% field of view.
- Comes with a tiltable electronic viewfinder for comfortable operation.
- Constant or variable zoom speeds for better control over the final output.
- The aperture is designed with 8 blades that help avoid and reduce the starburst effect that commonly happens when light sources hit non-circular aperture designs.
Pros & Cons
- Overexposure is avoided due to the Wide DR Gamma mode.
- Built with five buttons that you can assign with specific settings so you can tailor the operation according to your needs.
- Multiple inputs and outputs that allow you to connect the Canon XA15 to various equipment, such as the microphone, headphone, and cold shoe.
- Ensure comfortable shoulder video shooting and recording as the camera weighs under 3 pounds.
- Hybrid autofocus and hybrid stabilization system enhance the camcorder’s performance.
- No 4K resolution. This means it’s less expensive than other models offering 4K video recording capability. Full HD, however, will suffice for some.
- Additional output terminal jack might seem unnecessary for some users and may be perceived as the one thing that pushed the price point.
- May be less expensive as the Canon Vixia HF G21 with fewer ports and without the handle.
- Those looking to record videos with similar output quality minus the higher price tag will be happier with the Canon XA11.
The Canon XA15 comes with other desirable features. Just take a look at the complete list of specifications to get an idea of what you’re getting when you buy it. However, if you don’t need a camcorder with multiple inputs and outputs, the camera’s price tag might be a dealbreaker for you. The choice is up to you.
Canon XA15 Test Footage
[Canon XA15] Specification
Submit your review