+ Last Updated on
The FDR AX100 Introduction
Sony has released the FDR-AX100, the company’s first 4K palm-sized camcorder. Not only that, this model is the first fully featured 4K camcorder that sells for under US$2000.
It weighs at around 915g and with its battery fitted and is just a quarter of the size of the previous 4K camcorder from Sony, which also happened to be its smallest prior to the release of the FDR-AX100.
It features a single, 1-inch backlight illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor as well as a 12x Zeiss lens that has optical stabilization. These are the features that the new camcorder is based around.
When it comes to video delivery, the FDR AX100 is able to offer video at up to Ultra HD resolution, which is 3840 x 2160, through XAVC S recording at 30fps.
The Sony FDR-AX100 features a range of recording modes in HD quality, which includes 60p. Apart from that, the camcorders also come with an overcrank mode that is able to deliver up to 120fps at 720p for slow motion effects.
The FDR-AX100 is built with an LCD screen and an OLED optical viewfinder. Additionally, it comes with HDMI out and built-in WiFi. Not only that, the camera also comes with near-field communications (NFC) for compatible smartphones.
Its is designed with pro-style controls that are usually only seen on more expensive camcorders.One particular example of this is the multi-function dial that is similar to the PMW-100. The multi-function dial that is present in the FDR-AX100 model is used to control the aperture. Furthermore, the camera also comes with a wide focus ring.
The Sony FDR-AX100 also has built-in natural density (ND) filters at ¼, 1/16 and 1/64 to control light. This feature is something that is unusual for a consumer camcorder to have.
The kit that comes with the FDR-AX100 includes a lens hood and an IR remote control.
The target audience that would most likely want an FDR-AX100 are producers and directors who are looking to test out a 4K camera but don’t want to spend as much. Its also ideal for video journalists and filmmakers who are looking for a small camera that is unobtrusive and comes with a large sensor.
Other interested parties for the FDR-AX100 include those who have great experience with UltraHD TV or have plunged into that market. They may be on the lookout for more 4K content and might like what the latest 4K camcorder of Sony has to offer.
The camera is also a good choice for indie videographers who have not fully abandoned dSLR to take the plunge to UltraHD.[divider scroll_text=”Test Footage and Specification”]
- Image Stabilization : Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Wi-Fi : Built-In (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band)
- NightShot® Infrared System : Yes
- CinemaTone Gamma/Color : Yes
- Intelligent Auto : Portrait / Baby / Walk / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low light / Auto Wind Noise Reduction
- x.v.Color™ : Yes
- Audio Level Display : Yes
- Assignable Dial : Yes (Exposure /AE Shift / WB Temp. / WB B-A / WB G-M Set)
- Face Detection : Yes
- Priority Setting (for Face Detection) : Auto/OFF
- Smile Shutter™ technology : Dual Capture / Always On / Off
- AGC Limit : Yes
- Airplane Mode : Yes
- Wi-Fi Functionality : Remote control with mobile device, send to smartphone, send to PC (with optional wi-fi accessory)
- Tracking Focus : Yes
- Premium Closer Voice : Yes
- Golf Shot : Yes [AVCHD only]
- My Voice Canceling : Yes
- S-Master : Yes
- Smooth Slow Rec : Yes [AVCHD only]
- Camera Type : Prosumer 4K Camcorder with 1″ sensor
- Color : Black
- Manual / Auto Lens Cover : Lens Cap
- S/S & Zoom button on LCD : Yes (Touch Panel)
- Media/Battery Indicator : Yes(recordable time, free and used media space)/Yes(recordable time, remaining capacity)
- Still Image Playback Options : Slide Show
- Picture Effects : Yes
- Video Playback Options : Highlight Playback (AVDHD Movie Only); Highlight Scenario (Save/Playback/Erase); Hightlight BGM (Preinstalled 4 music files, Music transfer)
- Remote Control : Yes
- Self Timer : Yes
- Power Save Mode : Yes
- Red-Eye Reduction : Yes (On/Off)
- Date / Time Stamp : Yes (Rec Date and Time, Camera info)
- Erase/Protect : Yes / Yes
- Built-in USB Cable : Yes (USB Charge Available)
- Self Recording : Yes
- Multiple Language Display : English; Brazilian Portugese; Canadian French; Spanish
- Fader Effect(s) : White / Black
- Drive Mode : Photo Mode:Single-shot/Self-timer
- Exposure Compensation : AE Shift (Dial/Touch Panel)
- Exposure Settings : Auto; Flexible Spot (Touch Panel); Manual (Dial / Menu)
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment / Spot
- Noise Reduction : Yes
- White Balance Mode : Auto / Onepush / Outdoor / Indoor / WB Temp
- Manual Iris Control : F2.8-F11
- Auto Iris Control : F2.8-F11
- Gain Control : Auto/Manual
- LOW LUX Mode : Yes
- Backlight Compensation : Yes (Auto)
- WB Shift : Yes(G7-M7 15steps, A7-B7 15steps)
- Manual Exposure Assist : Zebra Pattern Display
- Focus Features : Tracking Focus
- Manual Focus Assist : Magnified display for precise manual focus; Peaking Display, Tracking Focus
- Focus Area : Full range Focus / Spot Focus
- AF Modes : Auto / Manual (Touch Panel / Dial)
- Focus System : Contrast AF
- Lifestyle : SEL-asset-424038
- Pixel Gross : Approx.20.9M pixels
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- Imaging Sensor : 1″ (13.2mm x 8.8mm) back-illuminated Exmor R® CMOS Sensor
- Processor : BIONZ® X image processor
- NFC : Yes
- HDMI Terminal : Yes (HDMI micro)
- DC IN : Yes
- Memory Card Slot : SDXC Memory Card(Class 10) [XAVC S]; Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2);Memory Stick XC-HG Duo; Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2); SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- HD Output : HDMI Out (micro)(supplied)
- Wi-Fi : Yes
- Accessory Shoe : Yes (Multi Interface Shoe)
- SD Output : Composite Video Out (AV CABLE (sold separately))
- PhotoTV HD : Yes
- Direct Copy : Yes [AVCHD only]
- USB Port(s) : TypeA (built-in) / USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage/MTP)
- BRAVIA® Sync™ : Yes
- Headphone Jack : Stereo Minijack
- Microphone Input : Stereo Minijack
- LCD Type : 3.5″ Xtra Fine LCD™ display(921K) (16:9) touch screen
- Coverage : 100%
- Angle Adjustment : Opening Angle: max.90 deg., Turning Angle: max.270 deg.
- Brightness Control : Yes (Menu)
- Grid Display : Grid Line
- Optical Zoom : 12x
- Direct Manual Focus : Yes
- Lens Stabilization : Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Minimum Focus Distance : Approx.1cm(Wide),Approx.100cm(Tele)
- Lens Type : Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T*
- Aperture : F2.8-F4.5
- Aperture Blade : 7 blades
- Digital Zoom : 160x
- Filter Diameter : 62mm
- ND Filter : OFF, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64
- Clear Image Zoom : 4K: 18x; HD: 24x
- Battery Type : InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (V Series)
- Power Requirements : 6.8V/7.2V (battery pack); 5.0V (AC Adapter)
- Video Resolution : XAVC-S 4K : 3840×2160/30P, 24P; XAVC-S HD : 1920×1080/60P, 30P, 24P; *Class 10+ SDXC memory card is required for recording in XAVC S AVCHD:1920×1080/60p(PS),24p(FX,FH),60i(FX,FH), 1440×1080/60i(HQ,LP); MP4: 1280×720 30p
- Audio Format : MPEG-4 Linear PCM 2ch(48kHz/16bit) [XAVC S 4K only]; Dolby Digital 5.1ch, Dolby Digital 5.1Creator [AVCHD only]; Dolby Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby Digital Stereo Creator [AVCHD only]
- Video Mode : XAVC-S: MPEG4-AVC/H264; AVCHD ver.2.0 compatible:MPEG4-AVC/H.264; MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Still Image Size 16:9 : Movie Mode: 20.0 megapixels 16:9 (5024 x 2824); Photo Mode: 20.0 megapixels 16:9 (5024 x 28242)
- Still Image Mode : JPEG
- Media Type : SDXC Memory Card(Class 10) [XAVC S]; *Class 10+ SDXC memory card is required for recording in XAVC S Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2);Memory Stick XC-HG Duo; Memory Stick PRO Duo (Mark 2); SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card(Class 4 or Higher)
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution : 20.0 megapixels
- Still Image Size 4:3 : Photo Mode: 15.0 megapixels 4:3 (4464 x 3352)
- Video Actual (Pixel) : Approx.14.2M pixels(16:9)
- Video Signal : HDTV, NTSC color, EIA standards
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in Zoom Microphone; Monoroal Speaker
- Photo Capture from Movie : 2.1megapixels16:9 (1920×1080)
- Dual Record : Yes
- Mic Level Control : Yes (31steps)
- Still Image File Format : DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Wind Noise Reduction : Yes (On/off)
- Dual Video Recording : Yes
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Approx.3 1/4inch x 3 3/8inch x 7 3/4inch (Approx.81mm x 83.5mm x 196.5mm) with NP-FV50 supplied battery
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx.1lb 11oz (approx. Approx.790g) unit only; Approx. 1lb 14oz (870g) with NP-FV50 supplied bat
FDR-AX100 Test Footage
Make sure you change the settings to 4K mode when watching this footage, press PLAY first though.
FDR-AX100 Customer Reviews
Submit your review
I have just recorded my brothers wedding using this and the final result is outstanding. Especially great on a 65" 4K TV!
I wanted a large sensor and this seems to be best for the money i paid.
This is a revolutionary model. Simply incredible! It's so easy and suitable for use!
Once you lay your hands on the AX100 you will never want to put it down.I am in shock that its this light & small. The still shots I have produced are better than all my DLSR's put together. Sony have done it again
1" sensor in a camera this size is unbelievable, This is a ass kicking cam.
List Price: $1,348.00
Sale Price: $1,298.00
Availability: Usually ships in 24 hours