Sony PJ810 Test and Review
If you wanted one of those cameras that came with a built-in projector, look no further than the Sony PJ810 Full HD Handycam Camcorder. It can capture Full HD 1920x1080 video at 24p and 60p as well as 20MP still images. It comes with a 1/3.95” Exmor R CMOS sensor, a wide-angle Sony G zoom lens with 12x optical zoom plus 24x Clear Image digital zoom. Not only that, it also has 32GB worth of internal flash memory which allows you to record up to 8 hours of video.
With this PJ810 review, you will get a closer look at the features and capabilities of this model from Sony.
Big screen treatment for recorded movies
Have you ever wanted to watch your recorded film like you’re at the cinema? Well, with the PJ810, this dream is finally a reality. In order to achieve this, all you need to do is to connect a smartphone or tablet via HDMI and presto, you’ve got the big screen treatment you’ve always desired.
Thanks to the presence of an Exmor R CMOS sensor, you can capture detailed moments then share it with those at home through a built-in projector that has a brightness of up to 50 lumens.
Basically, the camera allows you to project video at about 200” diagonal size.
Big screen anywhere, anytime
Whether you’re out camping or having an afternoon picnic, you can project a picture without having to suffer from quality. Yes, you read that right. With the projector that comes with the PJ810, you just need to project it onto any surface and see vivid images that appear as large as life. Even direct sunlight won’t affect the quality of the footage you will be seeing.
You can even plug in your smartphone or tablet so that you can view the recorded videos on those devices too!
Freedom of movement
With Balanced Optical SteadyShot, you can move, pan, zoom to your heart’s content. Your resulting video won’t be without shakes and jumps. This kind of image stabilization is unsurpassed and is really great if you haven’t quite mastered shooting video with a steady hand. Or, don’t have a steady hand for that matter.
The image stabilization you get from this camera makes up for 13x the camera shake you experience from traditional stabilization.
This PJ810 review will tell you that shooting with this model is quite fast and with fine results. This is all in thanks to the new BIONZ X image processor which is really fast, powerful and has the capability to reduce noise levels across the image.
The BIONZ X image processor along with the Exmor R CMOS sensor can reproduce any image you capture with stunning likeness. It will be just like your experience come to life again when you start viewing your recorded files.
Fit a lot more into the frame
With a 26.8mm wide-angle G lens, you can fit a lot more view into your frame. This is really great when you want to capture a stunning landscape right before your eyes. With this kind of feature, you can capture more details. So, whether you pan or zoom in, you’re rest assured to cover more ground with the wide-angle lens of the PJ810.
Also, with a 12x optical and 24x Clear Image Zoom, you can get really close and capture details.
With the PJ810, you can make use of NFC to make a connection with WiFI. This allows you to share photos and videos instantaneously. In other words, you don’t have to bother with cables or hook-ups when you’re working with this camera.
Isn’t it irritating when you can hear yourself talking over every video? Thankfully, with the PJ810, you can use My Voice Canceling to focus solely on the volume of your subject.
The PJ810 has dual video recording which allows you to film two formats at the same time. You can record in AVHCD for high-quality footage and in MP4 so you can easily share your videos online.
Hopefully this PJ810 review gave you a good glimpse of what this model is capable of. The major takeaway from this that if you want a camcorder that can double as a projector so everyone doesn’t have to crowd around the camera, go for the PJ810. And it’s great if you’re not a big fan of wires too.
- Image Stabilization : Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Wi-Fi : Built-In (Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band)
- CinemaTone Gamma/Color : Yes
- Intelligent Auto : Portrait / Baby / Walk / Tripod / Backlight / Landscape / Spotlight / Twilight / Macro / Low light / Auto Wind Noise Reduction
- x.v.Color™ : Yes
- Audio Level Display : Yes
- Assignable Dial : Yes (Focus / Exposure / Iris / Shutter Speed / AE Shift / WB Shift Set)
- Face Detection : Yes
- Smile Shutter™ technology : Dual Capture / Always On / Off
- Priority Setting (for Face Detection) : Auto/OFF
- AGC Limit : Yes
- Airplane Mode : Yes
- Wi-Fi Functionality : Remote control with mobile device, send to smartphone, send to PC (with optional wi-fi accessory)
- Premium Closer Voice : Yes
- Golf Shot : Yes
- My Voice Canceling : Yes
- S-Master : Yes
- Smooth Slow Rec : Yes
- Camera Type : Digital HD Video Camera Recorder w/ Projector
- Color : Black
- Manual / Auto Lens Cover : Auto
- S/S & Zoom button on LCD : Yes (Touch Panel)
- Media/Battery Indicator : Yes (recordable time, free and used media space) / Yes (recordable time, remaining capacity)
- Still Image Playback Options : Slide Show
- Picture Effects : Yes
- Video Playback Options : Highlight Playback (HD Movie Only); Highlight Playback Save and Share (Translate into STD quality); Highlight Scenario (Save/Playback/Erase); Hightlight BGM (Preinstalled 4 music files, Music transfer)
- Remote Control : Yes
- Self Timer : Yes
- Power Save Mode : Yes
- Red-Eye Reduction : Yes (On/Off)
- Date / Time Stamp : Yes (Rec Date and Time, Camera info)
- Erase/Protect : Yes / Yes
- Built-in USB Cable : Yes (USB Charge Available)
- Self Recording : Yes
- Multiple Language Display : English; Brazilian Portugese; Canadian French; Spanish
- Fader Effect(s) : White / Black
- Shutter Speeds : Shutter Speed(Standard): 1/60 -- 1/10000; Shutter Speed (Auto Control Range) 1/8 -- 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Manual lris Control) 1/60 -- 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Manual Shutter) 1/8 -- 1/10000; Shutter Speed(Smooth Slow Rec): 1/250 -- 1/10000
- Self-timer : Approx. 10sec. (Still Image / Golf Shot)
- Drive Mode : Photo Mode: Single-shot / Self-timer
- D-Range Optimizer : Yes
- Exposure Compensation : AE Shift (Dial / Touch Panel)
- Minimum Illumination : Standard: 6 lux (1/60 Shutter Speed); Low Lux: 3 lux (1/30 Shutter Speed)
- Exposure Settings : Auto; Flexible Spot (Touch Panel); Manual (Dial / Menu)
- Scene Mode(s) : Auto / Twilight / Twilight Portrait (Photo Mode only) / Sunrise & Sunset / Fireworks / Landscape / Portrait / Spotlight / Beach / Snow
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment / Spot
- Noise Reduction : Yes
- White Balance Mode : Auto / Onepush / Outdoor / Indoor
- Manual Iris Control : F1.8 -- F10
- Auto Iris Control : F1.8 -- F10
- Gain Control : Auto
- LOW LUX Mode : Yes
- Backlight Compensation : Yes (Auto)
- WB Shift : Yes
- Manual Exposure Assist : Zebra Pattern Display
- Flash Coverage : Approx.11 7/8 inch-59 1/8 inch (Approx.30cm-150cm)
- Focus Features : Tracking Focus
- Manual Focus Assist : Magnified display for precise manual focus; Peaking Display
- Focus Area : Full range Focus / Spot Focus
- AF Modes : Auto / Manual (Touch Panel / Dial)
- Focus System : Contrast AF
- Lifestyle : SEL-asset-424038
- Pixel Gross : Approx.6590K pixels
- Color Filter System : ClearVid™ array
- Effective Picture Resolution : Approx.6140K pixels(16:9)/Approx.4600K pixels(4:3)
- Imaging Sensor : 1/3.95” (4.6mm) back-illuminated Exmor R® CMOS Sensor
- Processor : BIONZ® X image processor
- NFC : Yes
- HDMI Terminal : Yes (HDMI micro)
- DC IN : Yes
- Memory Card Slot : Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- HD Output : HDMI Out (micro)(supplied)
- Wi-Fi : Yes
- Accessory Shoe : Yes (Multi Interface Shoe)
- SD Output : Composite Video Out (AV CABLE (sold separately))
- PhotoTV HD : Yes
- Direct Copy : Yes
- USB Port(s) : TypeA (built-in) / USB2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage/MTP)
- BRAVIA® Sync™ : Yes
- Projector Input : Yes (HDMI micro)
- Headphone Jack : Stereo Minijack
- Microphone Input : Stereo Minijack
- LCD Type : 3.0″ Xtra Fine LCD™ display (921k) touch screen
- Coverage : 100%
- Angle Adjustment : Opening Angle: max.90 deg., Turning Angle: max.270 deg.
- Brightness Control : Yes (Menu)
- Grid Display : Grid Line
- Optical Zoom : 12x
- Lens Stabilization : Balanced Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Minimum Focus Distance : Approx.1cm(Wide),Approx.80cm(Tele) (13/32inch-31 1/2inch)
- Lens Type : G™ Lens
- Aperture : F1.8-F3.4
- Digital Zoom : 160x
- Clear Image Zoom : 24x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : Movie Mode: 26.8-321.6mm (16:9); Photo Mode: 26.8-321.6mm (16:9), 32.8-393.6mm (4:3)
- Battery Type : InfoLITHIUM® with AccuPower™ Meter System (V Series)
- Power Requirements : 6.8V/7.2V (battery pack); 5.0V (AC Adapter)
- Power Consumption (in Operation) : Viewfidner: HD:2.9W; LCD: HD:3.1W
- Light source : LED(R/G/B)
- Projection type : DLP
- Focus : Manual
- Throw Distance : Approx. 0.5m (1.6feet) or over
- Endurance (Battery Life) : Approx. 120min(Supplied Battery)
- Resolution Output : 854 x 480
- Screen Coverage : Up to 200″ (diag)
- Projector Input : Yes (HDMI micro)
- Contrast Ratio : 200:1
- Light Output : Up to 50 lumens
- Video Resolution : HD:1920x1080/60p(PS),24p(FX,FH),60i(FX,FH), 1440x1080/60i(HQ,LP)
- Movie Recording Rate(Average Bit Rate/VBR) : HD PS:Approx.28Mbps/FX:Approx.24Mbps/FH:Approx.17Mbps/HQ:Approx.9Mbps/LP:Approx.5Mbps;MP4: Approx.3Mbps
- Audio Format : Dolby® Digital 5.1ch, Dolby® Digital 5.1Creator; Dolby® Digital 2ch Stereo, Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator; MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Video Mode : HD: MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD 2.0 format.compatible; STD: MPEG2-PS; MP4: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Still Image Size 16:9 : Movie Mode: 20.0 megapixels 16:9 (5024 x 2824); Photo Mode: 20.0 megapixels 16:9 (5024 x 28242)
- Still Image Mode : JPEG
- Media Type : Internal Memory, Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC/SDXC compatible
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution : 24.5 megapixels
- Still Image Size 4:3 : Photo Mode: 18.4 megapixels 4:3 (4960x3712)
- Video Actual (Pixel) : Approx.6,140K pixels(16:9)
- Recording and Playback Times (in Internal Media)(5.1ch) : HD PS: 2h35m; HD FX: 2h40m; HD FH: 3h30m; HD HQ: 5h30m; HD LP: 8h0m; (Times are approximate; max time)
- Recording and Playback Times (in Internal Media)(2ch) : HD PS: 2h30m; HD FX: 2h35m; HD FH: 3h25m; HD HQ: 5h25m; HD LP: 7h55m; (Times are approximate; max time)
- Video Signal : HDTV, NTSC color, EIA standards
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in Zoom Microphone; Monoroal Speaker
- Photo Capture from Movie : 2.1megapixels16:9 (1920×1080)
- Dual Record : Yes
- Internal Media : Flash Memory 32GB
- Mic Level Control : Yes (31steps)
- Still Image File Format : DCF Ver.2.0 compatible, Exif Ver.2.3 compatible, MPF Baseline compatible
- Wind Noise Reduction : Yes (On/off)
- Dual Video Recording : Yes
Service and Warranty Information
- Limited Warranty Term : Limited Warranty — 1 Year Parts; 90 Days Labor
- Touch Panel : Yes
- Type : 0.2″ (0.5cm) / Color 201,600dots equivalent
- Field of View : 1
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : Approx.2 3/4inch (W) x 2 7/8inch(H)x 5 3/8inch (D) (Approx.67.5mm x 72.5mm x 134mm)
- Weight (Approx.) : Approx.1lb (Approx.460g) Main Unit Only
PJ810 Test Footage[vimeo height=”500″ width=”780″]https://vimeo.com/92602430[/vimeo]
Submit your review
No products found.
No products found.