Last Updated on July 27, 2020
The New Sony 4K AX33 Handycam
With the Sony FDR-AX33 4K Handycam, you get a device that is around 30% smaller and 20% lighter than the current 4K camcorder that Sony has in the market. In addition to that, the latest 4K-enabled Handycam is capable of supporting the XAVC S recording format – which is deemed a very efficient format that is easy to store, edit and share.
FDR-AX33 TEST FOOTAGE
With the supplied HDMI cable, you can play back the footage you took on a 4K television set. Another alternative method is to connect the camera to any Full HD TV for super-sampled Full HD playback.
The zoom lever or on-screen icon can be used to “trim” 4K images by cropping backgrounds and blowing up a part of the frame in order to fill the screen with Full HD quality.
The FDR-AXP33 4K camera also has a built-in projector that has 50 lumens brightness. With this feature, you have an instant theater anywhere you want. You don’t have to wait to get home to view the footage you took – you just need a surface where you can project the video you shot. Also, with an input jack, you can output video from external sources as well.
Other Notable Features:
- Multi Camera Control – allows you to record a scene from different angles in the style of TV programs. Later, you can edit these scenes with PlayMemories Home which has advanced features like picture-in-picture. With this feature, you can also do simultaneous movie-still shooting using up to five cameras connected to the Handycam through WiFi.
- One-Touch Remote Control – enables you to remotely control the camera through WiFi and NFC functions. This feature also allows you to transfer content between the camcorder and a smartphone or tablet through the PlayMemories Mobile App available for mobile devices.
- 4K Photo Capture – shoot a scene then grab an ultra-sharp 4K still image from the footage.
- Highlight Movie Maker – allows slick and speedy editing. You can easily assemble and share sequences then sync these transitions to the rhythm to the soundtrack you are using.
- Live Streaming through Ustream – share your special moments online using Ustream thanks the live streaming feature of this camera.
Unboxing the FDR AX-33
Buy FDR AX-33
A camcorder that easily fits in the palm of your hand, the Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 is handy as can be but comes with some heavy features.
Video credit: Hoffman Engineering
With the FDR-AX100 4K camcorder as its predecessor, expect the camcorder to be even more superb than the previous prosumer device. The best part is it doesn’t cost a lot despite the nifty improvements. Pricewise, the FDR-AX33 is budget-friendly.
While the FDR-AX100 is both feature-rich and costly, the FDRAX33 is priced for the mainstream market but with desirable and remarkable specs.
So what’s the catch?
Nothing too drastic to make a huge difference.
Pros of the Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33
- Handheld and light
- Supports 4K, Full HD and HD video
- Excellent image stabilization system
- Superb still photo shots
- Improved connectivity via Wi-Fi and NFC
- Comes with USB and micro HDMI ports
Cons of the Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33
- Not at a professional-grade camcorder level
- Less than stellar ½.3” CMOS sensor when compared to that of the AX100
- Lacks an internal memory
The Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33 is designed for those who want to try their hand on 4K video recording and for a wide range of users. This is why it offers a lot of automatic audio and image options that many advanced users may not use. It still has manual controls, however, if you want more freedom with your creativity.
What are the best features of the FDRAX33?
4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 Resolution
Capture realistic and vibrant images at an incredibly high resolution. Combined with the fast Bionz X image processor, you can record movies at 60p Full HD resolution. When played back, your recording will be sharp, smooth, and with no realism lost.
Just remember that you’re going to need a higher storage size for specifics recordings.
- To record 100Mbps 4K, you’ll need UHS-I U3 or higher SDXC memory card
- To record 60Mbps 4K, you’ll need Class 10 or higher SDXC memory card
Image stabilization system
The AX33 uses BOSS (Balanced Optical SteadyShot), a new technology that keeps a video solid even when shooting at 4K or under shaky conditions. This eliminates any problem you might have with shaky hands and moving subjects.
This is made possible because BOSS moves an entire optical block all at once, not just a single “shift lens” that is standard on most Optical SteadyShot camcorders. Moving an entire block helps reduce shake and vignetting and maintain the optical path’s integrity.
This means the AX33 also produces some of the best still photos.
Audio Record Controls
The best video recordings should let you experience at home what you or a cameraman experienced while recording in an actual environment. That is, when you watch a playback of a soccer game, for example, you should feel the energy and atmosphere as if you were really there.
With the Dolby Digital 5.1 channel mic and Audio Record Controls of the Sony 4K HD Video Recording FDRAX33, you’ll definitely capture the essence of the moment. This is because active sounds from all directions are picked up. You can even capture high-quality sound in different situations using the Auto Wind Noise Reduction, Auto Gain Control Limit, and other audio controls.
So, despite it being budget-friendly, the FDRAX33 is no slouch where specs and features are concerned.